Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cream Scones with Cranberry and Lemon

The perfect Saturday morning breakfast: scones with a bit of butter on top. I had a craving, so I made a simple recipe found from the Fannie Farmer cookbook... and added my own twist, of course. (Recipe can be found here: http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/891/cream-scones.html)

2 cups(280 g)flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup(1 dL)cream


Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.(220C). Lightly butter a cookie sheet. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Work in the butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the eggs and cream and stir until blended. Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead for about a minute. Pat or roll the dough about 3/4 inch thick and cut into wedges. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.


For my own twist, I added some lemon zest and dried cranberries (about a cup). While the scones were in the oven, I coated them with an egg/sugar wash. It gave them this nice glossy brown on top.

I always aim to underbake my baked goods because I believe that softer is better. That was definitely the case with these since scones tend to get a bit hard.





This recipe was good. The sweetness on these is low, so if you want something with a little more flavor, I'd recommend adding a bit more sugar. But these are perfect with a bit of butter and jam on top. The perfect start to a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment